Fill out my online form.

Work Study Overview

Some quick stats – Students who work 1-14 hours a week have better persistence rates than those who don’t work at all. Persistence rates decline sharply as they work more than 14 hours a week. (American Council on Education 2002).
The Federal Work Study Program provides jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service and work related to each student’s course of study.
We want to help you find that perfect job for you and your schedule. If you are a student at Grace and looking for something to supplement your student budget, you might be eligible for a Federal Work Study position working anywhere from the Library, Cafeteria, or even the Financial Aid Office. If you are not Federal Work Study eligible, you can still work on campus as a student employee in many of the same departments.
If you are currently looking for employment opportunities at Grace University, as a non-student employee or looking for other ministry opportunities outside of Grace University I invite you to visit our Career Services page to see if there is a match for you!


Apply for Aid

Students must first complete a FAFSA, and be awarded work-study in their Statement of Financial Aid Eligibility. If Federal Work-Study eligibility is granted on your statement, you can work for an employer in an approved Federal Work-Study job (most are located on campus). You may earn up to the amount of your award. Money earned may be used for tuition, fees, books, room, board or personal educational expenses.

Complete Student Employment Application

Students must also fill out an Application for Student Employment which is available from the Student Work Program Coordinator. This application needs to be filled out every year, and all on-campus jobs require this application to be turned in to the Financial Aid Office before beginning work. (This includes Resident Assistants, Switchboard Operators, Teacher Assistants, etc.)

Complete the required tax forms

All students must fill out a W-4 (Employee’s Withholding Exemptions) and an I-9 (Employment Eligibility Form) at the Business Office. These forms need to be filled out PRIOR TO BEGINNING WORK.

Enrollment Requirements

To be considered for the Federal Work-Study program, undergraduate students must be enrolled at least half-time. Graduate students must be enrolled in at least eight hours for credit both semesters, demonstrate very high financial need, and meet all application deadlines. Students must be U.S. citizens and enrolled at Grace University.

Job Earnings and Hours

Job hours vary per week and are under supervision of University personnel. Average earnings per year are $1,100. Community service jobs under the Federal Work Study Program are recruited by the America Reads Coordinator from local non-profit governmental and community organizations. Such jobs are intended to improve the quality of life for community residents in areas such as child care, health care, elderly care assistance, and literacy training and tutoring.
You may work a maximum of 20 hours per week while school is in session and a maximum of 40 hours per week during vacations with your employer’s permission.
Wages are $9.00 an hour with the benefit that nothing is taken out for state or federal you receive the full $9.00. You will be paid directly once a month for the number of hours worked during the previous pay period. Once you have earned your full Federal Work-Study award, you must stop working unless your employer agrees to hire you as a non-Work-Study employee. You must notify your supervisor of any changes in your eligibility for Federal Work-Study funds.
The Work Study Program is a program in which both the federal government and the University pay a percentage of the student’s wages.

America Reads/America Counts

This program provides a community service for students to work one-on-one or in small groups to tutor children in reading or math. America Reads/Count works with schools and non-profit organizations to bring elementary and middle school children up to their grade level academically. This program is also eligible as an SLT. Students can receive credit for a community service activity and have a paid SLT position. Travel time is also included in your time card. Check with the America Reads Coordinator for availability and placement.

Non Work Study Employment

On Campus

This program provides work on campus for students who do not qualify for the federal work-study program, yet need employment to assist them in paying for University expenses.
International students may be employed on-campus with Work for Institution, but may not work off-campus unless appropriate permits are obtained from immigration officials.
Jobs range from five to eight hours per week and are under the supervision of University personnel. Average earnings per year are $1,100.

Resident Assistance

Resident Assistants are considered as another on-campus work position. Information about becoming a Resident Assistant is available at the Student Development Office.

Off-Campus Jobs

Requests from local businesses, area farmers, and other local residents looking for additional help are received by SLT. Requests are advertised by the SLT bulletin and on the bulletin board in the Duerksen Center. These are updated regularly throughout the school year.
The Financial Aid Office acts as a referral service for local businesses interested in hiring Grace students, but makes no representations or guarantees about positions listed or recommendations regarding employers.
For direct consultation and/or assistance on applying for work study, contact our Financial Aid office at (402) 449-2810 to schedule a meeting with a Financial Aid Counselor.