President Emeritus, Professor of History and Biblical Studies
Degree: Th.M, Ph.D.
Office: Admin 352
Phone Number: (402) 449-2808
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Graduate School, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 1989
- Runner-Up, Osporot History Award
- Major: American Intellectual History
- Minor: European Intellectual History
- Master of Theology (Th.M.) Dallas Theological Seminary, 1983
- Graduated with Honor
- Recipient of Charles A. Nash Award in Historical Theology
- Major: Historical Theology
- Master of Arts (M.A.) Graduate School, Lehigh University, 1973
- Major: History
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) Millersville University of Pennsylvania, 1969
- Dean’s List
- Major: History
- Minor: Political Science
- Downtown Omaha Rotary; Paul Harris Fellow
- The Nebraska Human Genetics Technology Commission (1998)
- Omaha Chamber of Commerce Executive Institute Graduate (1998)
- United Way of the Midlands (Clergy-1998)
- Board of Directors, Non-Partisan Family Coalition (1999-2010)
- Better Business Bureau, Integrity Award Judge (1999-2009)
- Character Education Task Force, District 66 (2000, 2004)
- Board of Trustees, Mid-America Council, Boy Scouts of America (2000-2012)
- Board of Directors, Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce (2001-2003)
- Board of Trustees, Alliance for Business Ethics (2008- )
- Advisory Council, Nebraska Council for Ethical Research (2002- )
- Association of Biblical Higher Education (formerly AABC) Commission on Accreditation (1997-1998, 2000-2004)
- Chaired twenty ABHE accreditation teams (1992-present)
- Chairman, ABHE Board of Directors (2009- )
Teaching and Related Service
- PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Lancaster Newspapers, Inc., Lancaster, PA, 1965-1969
- Faculty Member (High School), Salisbury Township Schools, Allentown, PA, 1969-1979
- Associate Pastor, Trinity United Methodist Church, Allentown, PA, 1976-1979
- Shaw-Walker Corporation, Dallas, TX, 1979-1983
- Pastoral Staff, Calvary Church, Lancaster, PA, 1982
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, Dallas Theological Seminary, 1982-1983
- Ordained Minister, 1984-
- Faculty Member, Grace College of the Bible, 1983-1992
- Academic Vice-President, Grace University, 1993-1997
- President, Grace University, 1997-2012
- President Emeritus and current faculty memeber at Grace University
- Visiting Professor of Historical Theology, Dallas Theological Seminary, Spring Semester, 1994
Have conducted marriage seminars, current issue seminars, family life conferences, Bible conferences and retreats throughout the United States, Germany, Switzerland, and Ecuador; Speak in churches throughout the Midwest nearly every Sunday; Also hosted a radio program for many years on current issues called “Issues in Perspective.” Finally, perform dramatic monologues on figures from Church History (e.g., Martin Luther, John Calvin, Augustine, Jonathan Edwards). Lead annual tours of Israel and every four/five years lead Reformation tours of Germany, Switzerland and eastern France
Research and Creative Activity
- Books and Book Chapters:
- Faith of Our Fathers: Tracing Our British Roots. Lincoln, Nebraska: Back to the Bible (1992).
- Perspectives From Church History. Wheaton, Illinois: ETA (1996).
- Exploring Church History. Wheaton, Illinois: Crossway (2002).
- Christian Ethics for the Postmodern World. Wheaton, Illinois: ETA (1999).
- “Tyranny,” in the Dictionary of Biblical Imagery (InterVarsity, 1999).
- Biblical Ethics: Choosing Right in a World Gone Wrong. Wheaton, Illinois: Crossway (2004).
- The Truth About Worldviews: A Biblical Understanding of Worldview Alternatives. Wheaton, Illinois: Crossway (2004).
- The Truth About Worldviews: A Biblical Understanding of Worldview Alternatives. Wheaton, Illinois: ETA (2006).
- Exploring Church History: A Guide to History, World Religions and Ethics. Wheaton, Illinois: Crossway (2008).
- Over 5 dozen magazine and journal articles.
Dr. Eckman enjoyes speding time wiht his wife and with his married children Jonathan. who lives in London, England with his wife, Irene, and Joanna, who lives in Omaha with her husband, Greg