Intercultural Studies Major: Foreign Language
Why should I choose the Intercultural Studies Major?
Grace University’s Intercultural Studies (IS) program is designed to prepare students for cross-cultural ministry in a variety of international and domestic contexts. The program is based on studying cultures from three main foci. First is the biblical/theological basis for cross-cultural work. The second focus is the anthropological tools to work effectively across cultural lines. Finally, there is a ministry skill concentration to develop a practical skill as the basis for the student’s cross- cultural work.
Grace University’s Christian foreign language degree in Omaha is committed to providing a variety of opportunities for students to practice working cross-culturally without leaving Nebraska. Through our servant leadership training ministries students are able to work with international students and populations of new immigrants to the city. As well each student will participate in the Edge program in which students will live and study for a semester at a university outside of North America. This trip will contain 4 months of study and 2 months of practical cross-cultural work experience.
What type of degree will I earn at Grace University if I enroll in this program?
Graduates of the Intercultural Studies Program will earn a Bachelor of Arts degree that includes a 36- hour major in Bible, a 54- hour major in Intercultural Studies, and an 18- hour Ministry Skills Concentration chosen by the student in consultation with the IS Program Director.
Total Degree Credits (127)
Bible/Theology Requirements (36)
- BS 101 Old Testament Survey (4)
- BS 102 New Testament Survey (4)
- BS 103 Hermeneutics & Bible Study Methods (3)
- BS 110 Spiritual Life & Evangelism (2)
- BS 406/204 Romans or Gospels (3)
- TH 203 Theology of Church Mission (2)
- TH 301 Theology 1 (3)
- TH 302 Theology 2 (3)
- TH 308 Theological Issues in Missions Context (3)
- BS/TH Electives (9)
General Education Requirements (36)
- EN 101 College Composition 1 (3)
- EN 203 Technical Writing (3)
- HU 414 Ethics (3)
- HU Literature Elective (3)
- HU/MU Art or Music Elective (3)
- MA 201/211 College Algebra or Statistics (3)
- PE 101 Introduction to Health & Wellness (2)
- PE Elective (1)
- SCI Science Elective (3)
- SP 120 Oral Communications (3)
- SS 101 College Orientation (0)
- SS 214 Cultural Anthropology (3)
- SS 222/PSY 101 Sociology or General Psychology (3)
- SS Social Science Elective (3)
Intercultural Studies (37)
- FL 351 Greek Grammar 1 or Hebrew Grammar 1 (3)
- FL 351 Greek Grammar 2 or Hebrew Grammar 2 (3)
- IS 201 Intercultural Ministry Practicum (1)
- IS 203 The Historical Expansion of the Church (3)
- IS 218 Intercultural Life and Ministry (3)
- IS 312 Applied Contextual Missiology (3)
- IS 318 Intercultural Ministry Field Experience (3)
- IS 321 World’s Living Religions (3)
- IS 381 Cross-Cultural Communication (3)
- IS 405 Intercultural Relationships (3)
- IS 412 The Contemporary World and Mission (3)
- IS 414 Church Planting Methods (3)
- IS Intercultural Studies Elective (3)
The Foreign Language Concentration allows students to pursue a significant level of language in either ancient Greek or Hebrew or one of the modern languages such as Spanish, French, or German. Students complete introductory courses here in Omaha and further their studies through a summer, one, or two semester study abroad experience while studying at a local language institute or university. Greek or Hebrew students are not required to study abroad, although participation in one of the Israel trips is highly encouraged.
Servant Leadership Training* (8 Semesters)
Grace L.I.F.E. * (8 Semesters)
*For specific requirements, please refer to the Grace University Student Handbook.