Communication Studies Program: Video Production Concentration
Why should I major in Mass Communication? The Mass Communication Concentration gives students the tools they need to pursue careers in media. Students in this program have the option of choosing from three emphases: video production, audio production or electronic graphic communication. The coursework integrates both mass communication theory and skills with a Biblical worldview that is developed in every course – including general education subjects. Students have practical opportunities to build skills not only through in-class projects but through practicums and internships as well. For this major, Grace works in cooperation with Iowa Western Community College (IWCC) – located just eight miles from campus in Council Bluffs, Iowa. Through this cooperative agreement with IWCC, students have access to production equipment and media- related computer technology to help them develop their skills.
What type of degree will I earn at Grace University if I enroll in this program?
Graduates of the Communication Studies Program will earn a Bachelor of Science degree.
What kind of jobs would be available to me after I graduate from Grace University with this major?
With this Christian video production degree program Omaha students will be prepared for a wide variety of media-related careers including radio, television, web and layout design, recording and production and public relations.
Total Degree Credits (129)
Bible & Theology Requirements (30)
- BS 101 Old Testament Survey (4)
- BS 102 New Testament Survey (4)
- BS 103 Hermeneutics & Bible Study Methods (3)
- BS 110 Evangelism & Spiritual Life (2)
- BS 204/406 Romans or Gospels (3)
- TH 203 Theology of Church Mission (2)
- TH 301 Theology 1 (3)
- TH 302 Theology 2 (3)
- BS/TH xxx Bible or Theology Electives* (6)
*These course requirements vary slightly by concentration.
General Education Requirements (56)
- EN 101 College Composition 1 (3)
- EN 203 Technical Writing (3)
- HU 221/323/414 Introduction to Philosophy or Apologetics (3)
- HU xxx Literature Elective (3)
- HU/MU xxx Art or Music Elective (3)
- HU 414 Ethics (3)
- MA 211 Statistics (3)
- PE 101 Introduction to Health & Wellness (2)
- PE xxx Physical Education Electives (2)
- PSY 101 General Psychology (3)
- SCI 342 Physical Science (3)
- SS 101 College Orientation (1)
- SCI xxx Science Elective (6)
- SP 120 Oral Communications (3)
- SS 222 Principles of Sociology (3)
- SS 204 Introduction Social Science Research (3)
- SS 333/433 Intro to American Politics or Am. Government (3)
- Open Electives (6)
Core Requirements (22)
- BU 300 Principles of Leadership & Management (2)
- CE 303 Fundamentals of Instruction & Mentoring (2)
- COM 210 Interpersonal Communication (3)
- COM 302 Sociology of Mass Communication (3)
- COM 306 Small Group Communication (3)
- COM 412 Human Communication & Rhetoric (3)
- COM 450 Media Ethics & Law (3)
- COM 460 Internship in Communication (3)
Video Production Emphasis** (20)
- MMS 113 Intro to Media Production 1 (3)
- MMS 114 Intro to Media Production 2 (3)
- MMS 134 Media Writing (3)
- MMS 204 New Media Production (3)
- MMS 230 Advanced Video Production 1 (3)
- MMS 232 Advanced Video Production 2 (3)
- MMS 296 Video Practicum 1 (1)
- MMS 297 Video Practicum 2 (1)
Servant Leadership Training* (8 Semesters)
Grace L.I.F.E. ** (8 Semesters)
*For specific requirements, see the Grace University Student Handbook.
**Concentration requirements are a Cooperative Program taken at Iowa Western Community College in Council Bluffs, IA.